What's the Difference Between ROI and Profit Margin?

What’s the Difference Between ROI and Profit Margin?

Here’s a simple guide on how to choose which method to automatically set your Min and Max prices

Dillon Carter avatar

Written by Dillon Carter
Updated over a week ago

It may feel overwhelming when you’re trying to decide which pricing method you want to use (so that Aura can automatically create Min/Max prices for your listings) but we can lighten that load for you.

Here’s the simple difference between Return on Investment (ROI) and Profit Margin

Return on Investment

Return on Investment (ROI) is the most common choice. Why? ROI allows you to easily know how much money you get back for every dollar you spend on inventory.

As an example, if I have an average ROI of 20%, I know that for every $1 I spend, I will get back $1.20.

Here’s how to calculate your ROI:
ROI = Profit / Total Cost

Based on our simple example above - ROI (20%) = Profit ($0.20) / Total Cost ($1.00)

Profit Margin

Profit Margin is not used as frequently but is the next best pricing method. Where ROI focuses on what you invested in your inventory, Profit Margin is focused more on the total price you sold your inventory at and can never exceed 100%.

As an example, if you purchased a unit for $1, had total fees of $2, and sold the unit for $10, your profit margin would be 70%.

Here’s how to calculate your Profit Margin:
Profit Margin = Profit (revenue - costs) / Revenue

Based on our example above - Profit Margin (70%) = Profit ($7) / Revenue ($10)

Hopefully, this gives you a nice overview of each method. There are pros and cons to each but we generally recommend Return on Investment as we consider inventory an investment.

Something we didn’t cover? Message us by clicking the blue icon at the bottom right of the page :nerd_face:

Content Curated: