Join Mastodon with Medium

A few weeks ago, we announced that Medium is embracing short-form writing by launching our very own Mastodon server at me.dm. Starting today, we’re opening up me.dm access for our member community. If you’re a Medium member, you can create an account on me.dm.

What’s Mastodon?

Mastodon is a social media platform that’s different from the others: it’s not owned by any one entity. Mastodon is a network of servers (or “instances”) that are each hosted and moderated by their respective owners. If you like Medium and our approach to content moderation, we hope you’ll join us on me.dm.

Posts on Mastodon are federated, meaning that they have the potential to be seen and re-shared by anyone in the entire network. We think this presents an exciting new opportunity for writers to reach more readers.

What you’ll get when you join me.dm

1. A fresh, short Mastodon username like @you@me.dm that matches your Medium profile.
  2. An easy way to share your own Medium stories or short-form thoughts to millions of potential readers on the Mastodon network.
  3. Access to a fast, stable, professionally-operated Mastodon instance.
  4. A great local feed featuring posts from fellow Medium writers and readers.
  5. Hand-picked recommendations for interesting people to follow on Mastodon.

How to create your me.dm account

The regular process for joining Mastodon and building your profile can be a bit confusing, so we’ve made it easier by integrating it with your Medium account.

• If you’re already a Medium member, you can create your me.dm account right away.
  • If you’re not yet a member, you can start your Medium membership to join me.dm.
  • After that, you’ll log into me.dm directly with the new password you set when you created the account.
  • Once you’re on me.dm, you’ll see that your profile information on Medium has been copied over to your new profile on me.dm.