Engagement Photos with the 1979 Leitz 50mm f2 Summicron Tiger Paw

By Johnny Martyr

If you’ve read my blog 5 LTM 50’s for $500 or Less, you will have some idea how deep a rabbit hole I’ve gone down, searching for the perfect Leica-mount 50mm lens. Despite a belief that you don’t need to spend a lot on a Leica mount 50mm, I eventually found it necessary to spend a bit more to get a single go-to 50 for use with my Leica M6 TTL‘s. I landed on the Leitz 50mm f2 Summicron by happenstance.

I photographed a wedding in 2021 on my 50/1.5 Summarit, which has long been the go-to for my M6 because I enjoy the size, weight and balance of it. The Summarit offers me a range of looks; vintage at wider apertures and pretty modern when stopped down and hooded. However, the wedding was in the morning with harsh window lighting in a small room, and I found that the Summarit, even with its hood, exhibited more glow and veiling flare than I wanted for this somewhat unusual wedding location and time. As a wedding photographer, having a lens that I you can point anywhere and get consistent results at any distance and any aperture is important. This expectation can be a challenge with vintage lenses so I started looking for something a bit more modern for this reason alone.

Curated: https://Photog.live