Digital and Social Media Legal Issues for Broadcasters – Exercise Care in Using Internet Content on Your Digital Properties, And Why Fair Use is Not Always a Defense

Digital and Social Media Legal Issues for Broadcasters – Exercise Care in Using Internet Content on Your Digital Properties, And Why Fair Use is Not Always a Defense

By David Oxenford on February 14, 2014

POSTED IN APPEARANCES, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, INTERNET VIDEO, MUSIC RIGHTS, ON LINE MEDIA, WEBSITE ISSUES

Social media and other digital platforms are playing a more and more important part of the business of traditional media companies. In the last few weeks, I’ve participated in two seminars, looking at the legal issues that arise in these areas. At the Winter Convention of the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association , I conducted a seminar outlining the legal issues that broadcasters need to consider in their digital media endeavors. The slides from that presentation are available here. We talked about many issues, some of which I write about regularly (e.g. music rights), and others that I will write about more in coming weeks, including privacy, online sponsorship attribution, user-generated content, and other issues that arise in the online world. One issue that we spent a significant amount of time discussing was copyright – including specifically concerns that can arise when stations take content found on the Internet – pictures, videos, music or other creative works – and appropriate it for their websites or other digital properties, without bothering to get permission.

Read the entire story