4 life-saving tips for fixing an overexposed image

Curated Content from Photography Concentrate

Daniel, from the Photography Concentrate Team writes:

I recently wrapped up an amazing family photo session.

Everything about it was magical - I caught the golden hour for beautiful lighting, the location was breathtaking and the entire family looked fabulous.

You know that feeling when you’ve snapped the perfect image?

The one that they’re going to love for their Christmas card and a canvas for the living room?

That’s exactly the feeling I had…

…Until I uploaded the photos and saw that one incredible shot was overexposed. I had blown out highlights and the colors were washed out.

The disappointment set in right away - but I was determined to fix these issues and salvage my work.

Luckily, I know my way around Lightroom pretty well :wink:

If you’ve ever reviewed your photos after a session and been heartbroken to find you’ve overexposed an image, try these four steps, in the following order, to bring back the magic:

1. In Lightroom, decrease the exposure.

2. Bring up the blacks and increase the contrast.

3. Fine tune the highlights by adjusting the slider to the left. This will help you bring back some of the details in your image.

4. Add a pop of color back in using your Hue, Saturation and Luminance sliders.

Once I used these four tricks, you’d never know my favorite image from that session was overexposed :slight_smile:

And, just as I predicted, the family loved it (I just placed their order for stunning canvas featuring this photo!)

The thing is…

I’ve already invested countless hours learning how to salvage photos or turning an okay picture into a stunning image…

Lightroom isn’t one of those programs that you just pick up with little help - unless you learn from someone who knows what they’re doing.

I hated to think how other photographers waste hours searching online for how to fix a million different things in Lightroom like I had to do.

So, I created a video tutorial to help you quickly and easily bring out the best in your photos.

This video tutorial will show you step-by-step how to master things including:

• Lightroom basics
  • Essential corrections
  • Subtle enhancements
  • Creative editing
  • Stunning black & whites
  • Efficient workflow

If you’re ready to see an immediate improvement in your finished photos, the Super Photo Editing Skills tutorial is what you need to really up your editing game as a photographer.

Get it here:

(the presentation video at the top of the page includes a lesson on two easy Lightroom tools that you definitely need to master - be sure to watch till the end :slight_smile:

Happy Photographing!

Daniel, Kristal, Rob, Lauren and the Photography Concentrate team