PepWave Invalid IMEI when activating with Carrier

|45x45

Christopher Junior Member

Nov 26, 2014

Thanks for the response. Here’s what I learned going through the account enable with Verizon. I think PepLink should document this information to help their Verizon customers get started. I also think PepLink and their customers would benefit from having PepLink work with Verizon to help them do a better job in supporting the product. Right now, they are kind of confused by it.

If you give Verizon the 15 digit IMEI number off the bottom of the Max-BR1, they will tell you that it is an unsupported device. What they are looking for is the MEID (HEX) which is provided on the router’s Dashboard/cellular/Details screen or, at least in my case, it is merely the IMEI number with the last digit left off.

With this number, they are then able to identify the device as a PepWave Max-BR1, but their normal account people do not seem to know how to enable it and they have to send you off to a tech support person. Once there, they have no information as to what size SIM card to send you, and I was unable to tell them since, as far as I could tell, it is not documented on the PepLink web site. After much searching, it was determined that the Max-BR1 requires a mini-SIM type card, but Verizon no longer supports these so you have to go with the micro-SIM type card from Verizon, and then purchase a micro-SIM to mini-SIM adapter. Verizon mails you the micro-SIM card. Upon receipt, you have to call them back and activate the micro-SIM card.

Total time on the phone with Verizon, believe it or not, was just under 2 hours. The tech support person was very helpful and even went as far as Googling around to find the correct SIM card type.

|45x45

Tim_SPeplink Team

Nov 26, 2014

Thanks for the feedback Christopher, we will update our site and documentation to indicate the correct SIM card size - this makes sense.

If you are activating an LTE unit they will need the IMEI number, if it is a 3G unit then they will need the MEID number.

I’m surprised they could not get you a mini-SIM card, I know other customers have been able to get them no problem.

Liquid Layer Networks